Wednesday 5 December 2012

Mikel Signs New 5yrs Chelsea contract


John Obi Mikel has signed a new contract that will keep him at Stamford Bridge for five more years.

Mikel, 25, said he was delighted to have put pen to paper and hoped the Blues could build on last season's Champions League success by continuing to pick up trophies.

The Nigeria international has established himself as an integral part of the Chelsea set-up since joining from Norwegian side Lyn Olso, via Manchester United, in 2006.

When he arrived at Stamford Bridge as a 19-year-old, Mikel was an attacking midfielder, but former Blues boss Jose Mourinho switched him to the defensive midfield role in which he has made the majority of his 261 Chelsea appearances.

He told the club's official website: "Chelsea seems like my home now, because I have been here for over six years and I enjoy it here. I am happy and want to keep going and win trophies for this club.

"I have basically won everything with Chelsea, and these years have been really special for me. Last season, to win the Champions League was even more special, and I hope these next five years will bring even more success."

He said he believed he was reaching the peak of his powers, adding: "You want to improve every day, and there is still room for that. I want to learn from the players and the manager, and I just want to keep going."

A statement from the club said: "Chelsea Football Club is delighted to announce that John Mikel Obi has signed a new five-year contract which will keep him at the club until 2017."



Source:soccernet

0 comments:

Post a Comment